The main products and areas of applications are:
- Fibre optic submarine cables.
- Fibre optic elements in composite power and fibre optic cables to enable communication of voice, data, video, broadcast over long distances (>300 km).
- Electrical umbilical cables with signal and power elements for connecting oil platforms to sub-sea templates over long distances (>100 km) and down to water depth > 1.600 meters.
- Dynamic umbilicals for operation of Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV’s) containing signal elements (pairs/quads, RG coax or fibre optic elements) together with electrical power elements feeding remote equipment with more than 1 MWatt.
- Air-gun umbilicals and lead-ins for towed systems, and bottom laid cables for
4-D seismic acquisition.
- Submarine cables for permanent underwater installations for monitoring and control purposes (oceanographic, telemetry of ship activity, defence systems etc.)
- Topside cables (fibre optic or coax) for interplatform wiring of communication.
- Optical Ground Wire cables, providing normal electrical functions and large transmission capacity for data and communication requirements.
In order to respond fully to customer needs, many of the cable or umbilical products are supplied with accessories like terminations, cable joints for repair or maintenance purposes, weak links, hang-off for oil platform terminations and flexible riser systems for use from sea bed to floating structures.
In addition special purpose telecom elements can be incorporated into large structures together with steel tubes or high voltage conductors.
For the complete activity, area-engineering services are offered in order to fully undertake cable system or umbilical system turnkey responsibility including installation which can be offered together with our contracting activity.
Some of the specific capabilities are represented by the ability to manufacture long lengths of unspliced cables or umbilicals. To make up “infinite” cable lengths technology has been developed to join long unspliced segments to very long final lengths (100 - 300 kin).
Further, with a highly trained engineering staff cables or umbilicals can be tailor made to customer specifications or needs. This is reflected in a supply record of more than 1 00 different umbilical designs for ROVs, many supplied only once towards a single vehicle with its dedicated tools and instrumentation package requiring specific mix of umbilical elements. Further, as operational range of ROVs are extended, new requirements to armour and outer diameter call for constant improvements and new designs. The same applies to almost every area, because new special demands require new special solutions.
Through development of new technologies qualified through extensive test programs, Nexans aims at being in the forefront capable of serving the customers with new solutions.
We would like to work closely with our customers to take full advantage of common skills, as we believe special demands requiring special designs and technical alternatives available. Our capabilities are shaped by your special needs.